Pages

Thursday 1 March 2018

That time when a lady's marriage was a lottery

We have now started act 2 scene 1. The main thing in this scene currently (spoiler if you want to read it yourself) is that the prince of Morocco has come in trying to get Portia. He talks about racism in this scene "Mislike me not for my complexion, The shadowed livery of the burnished sun,To whom I am a neighbour and near bred." He is basically saying. "Don’t hold my skin color against me. I was born and raised in the sun, which is why I’m dark-skinned. But I’m as red-blooded as any man." The story was based in a time were there was a lot of racism and religious conflict and racism was a thing witch is why the prince says this. We have started using a online site that makes the book a bit more simple when reading. Click her to go to the site. Here are the question. If your interested in reading the book you should answer them yourself first.

Act 2 scene 1 question:
 1. We have watched racial and religious tensions at work in A1S3. The Prince of Morocco opens A2S1 with another sensitive issue. What is it? Racism. As I said above the prince starts of the scene by mentioning the racism that happens in his time. He says "Don't judge me by my skin colour" since at the time people with non white skin colour were treated a lot worse than white skinned people.

2. If Antonio loses his gamble, he must forfeit a pound of flesh. What must Portia’s suitors give up if they fail to win her? They must give up there right to marry another women. "Or swear before you choose, If you choose wrong never to speak to lady afterwards In way of marriage."

3. Shylock practices ‘usury’. What is this? It is when you put interest on money at a highly unreasonable place. If you don't know what interest it is when you lend money to someone and expect more money to be payed back based on the amount of time since they borrowed the money.

4. Why do Shylock and Antonio hate each other? They are different religions and Antonio has basically bullied Shylock in the past. "I hate him because he’s a Christian. But more than that, I hate him because he stupidly lends money without interest" 

5. What is Portia’s opinion of the Prince of Morocco- give examples. She thinks of him as highly as her other suitors. Witch means she dislikes him. Just like the other suitors she dislikes the man. " But if my father hadn’t restricted me like this—forcing me to marry whoever wins his test—then you’d have had as good a chance to marry me as any of the suitors I’ve met so far, prince."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.