Pages

Tuesday 20 March 2018

When a girl becomes a guy to get a guy

We have continued our adventure into the merchant of Venice (we are just reading it but I wanted to make it sound cool.) We have been introduced to a character called Lancelot who originally was working for Shylock but now wants to leave since he believes Shylock is the real life devil. If you want to read this book yourself but cant buy it you can read it online here


Act Two, Scene Two
  1. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock? Give evidence from the text to support your thinking.
He believes the jew aka Shylock is the real life devil he talks to himself about Shylock being the devil and how he should run away from the devil. "Certainly my conscience will serve me to run from this Jew, my master. The fiend is at mine elbow and tempts me" In this case fiend means devil.  

Why is Bassanio worried about taking Gratiano with him to Belmont?
From what it sounds it seems that Gratiano will get drunk easily and start dancing naked and stuff like that. Bassanio doesn't want that happening as that might risk his chances

3. In lines 114-142... Launcelot and his father are very anxious to find Launcelot a new job. They both want to impress Bassanio.
This leads to
a. frequent interruptions.
      b. contradictions
      c. misuse of words to impress.


      Find examples of each of these in the text
A.
Launcelot: "To be brief, the very truth is that the Jew, having done me wrong, doth cause me, as my father, being, I hope, an old man, shall frutify unto you"

Gobbo: "I have here a dish of doves that I would bestow upon your worship, and my suit is"
B. Gobbo: "Here’s my son, sir, a poor boy"
Launcelot: "Not a poor boy, sir, but the rich Jew’s man that would, sir, as my father shall specify" C. No idea on this one

Scene three

1. What does Jessica think of her life at home? Give evidence from the text to support your thinking
She thinks it is hell and wants to leave. "It’s hell in our house" "Goodbye. If luck’s with me, I’ll lose a father, and you’ll lose a daughter."

2. Which of Bassanio’s friends is Jessica planning to marry?
Lorenzo

Scene four

1. How does Jessica get a message to her lover?
She gets Launcelot to give a letter to her lover (Lorenzo)

2. How will she be disguised for the elopement?
She disguises as a Paige so her father Shylock doesn't realise shes there and so its easier for her to sneak out

Scene five

1. Why is Shylock uneasy about going out for the evening? Give evidence from the text to support your thinking.
Many of the Christians are there and he despises Christians especially Antonio's friends. "But yet I’ll go in hate to feed upon The prodigal Christian.—Jessica, my girl, Look to my house. I am right loath to go. There is some ill a-brewing towards my rest, For I did dream of money bags tonight."

Scene 6 

1. How does Launcelot manage to tell Jessica that Lorenzo will be there that evening?
He quietly tells her to look out the window because Lorenzo will be there "Mistress, look out at window, for all this. There will come a Christian by Will be worth a Jewess' eye. "

2.
What does Jessica throw down to Lorenzo?
A box filled with riches she stole from her dad (Shylock) because she hates him and is running away from him to get with the christian (Lorenzo)

3.Why is Antonio looking for Gratiano?
The wind is blowing the right way for Bassanio so they end the parade so Bassanio can leave sooner to find and attempt to marry Portia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.