Pages

Friday 2 November 2018

Dragon heart themes

Dragon Heart Themes
For my next Dragon heart task, I had to look into 3 of the Dragon heart themes and find some quotes that relate to them and explain what the theme is about.

The first theme I am covering is Rediscovering one's faith. These lines of dialogue show this theme greatly as Bowen rediscovers his faith in the old ways and begins to believe in them once again. This scene greatly shows this theme of the movie and even develops the main character massively. It also plays into the second theme of rediscovering one's honour. Of course, there are other lines that represent this them but I believe this is one of the best.
King Arthur: A knight is sworn to valour.
Bowen: A knight is sworn to valour.
King Arthur: His heart knows only virtue.
Bowen: His heart knows only virtue.
King Arthur: His blade defends the helpless.
Bowen: His blade defends the helpless.
King Arthur: His might upholds the weak.
Bowen: His might upholds the weak.
King Arthur: His word speaks only truth.
Bowen: His word speaks only truth.
King Arthur: His wrath undoes the wicked.
Bowen: His wrath undoes the wicked!

The second theme is about honour and courage, a major theme present throughout the movie shown by almost all of the main characters. Relating to the last quote shows the restoring of someone's honour. Bowen has gone from being a ragtag dragon slayer fuelled with misjudged vengeance to a once again honourable knight of the old ways. However, for the courage part of this theme, this quote from Bowen when trying to kill Draco shows that even though he is fueled with rage but is still showing courage with confronting a Dragon. Here is the quote, Bowen: I will not stop until I've rid the world of every last one of you.

The third and final theme is good vs evil. A pretty simple theme that is shown more by tone and scenery than words itself in the film. However, the theme is definitely shown with the mocking Einon gives Bowen in their first fight. It is obvious that one side is evil and the other is good. In this quote good vs evil is shown by how mocking of Bowen Eionon is. It shows how much he has supposedly changed from when Bowen taught him and because of this you see the good vs evil theme in action through this dialogue.
King Einon: [laughing] Well, well, well. It can't be. But it is! My old mentor. Still giving carving lessons?
Bowen: Get off your horse and I'll give you one.
King Einon: Time's not been kind to you, Bowen. You should never have broke with me.
Bowen: It was *you* who broke with me.
King Einon: And yet you return to me with this girl I lost.
Bowen: [Bowen looks at Kara. Kara shakes her head and raises her dagger] I think she wants to stay lost.
King Einon: Not her decision, I'm afraid!
[Brok starts to dismount, but Einon raises a hand to stop him, then dismounts himself and draws his sword]
King Einon: I'm ready for my lesson now, knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.